Shell-Dwelling

Les Cichlidés du lac Tanganyika
Répondre
Marcos Yamada

Message par Marcos Yamada » 07 janv. 2002 13:29

Hello!
I'm from Brazil and my english is very bad and my french is worse.
Ok, i have 3 n. brevis "Zaire", 3 n. multifasciatus, 4 l. ocellatus, in a tank(250L) i put 30 shells, big and small, but nobody go into the shell, they're only stay in the rock's, why?
and, how i know which one is female ou male(i'm talking about brevis and multifasciatus)?

thanks everybody
i'm sorry about my bad english

JBenoit

Message par JBenoit » 07 janv. 2002 17:21

Hello,
I think that you uses too big shells! In the lake Tanganyika, neauthomas is used most of the time, and are in "beds", by fishes. Their diameter does not exceed 2/3/or 4 centimeters!
Thus see if your shells correspond, and especially if their spiral is good for these fishes, it is very important!
I am sorry but my english is sow BAD !!!!!
cordially, Benoît. :)

<font size=-1>[ Ce Message a été édité par: JTangany le 2002-01-07 17:22 ]</font>

Henri

Message par Henri » 07 janv. 2002 17:31

They are probably stressed by their environnement, it sometimes happen - or maybe the shells are in a place they don't like, like just in the front of the tank, where you can see them easily.If not, they should quite fast go in the shells.
Try to turn off the lights for a few days and to bring it back slowly.
There should be much more than 30 shells, in at least 3 places, separated by rocks, so that each specie has a place and the confrontation appear only at the limit of each territory.
N. multifasciatus ecpecialy need many shells.

Finaly, there are probably too many shell-dwelling species in this tank, two species would have been better, but it can work if species are well separated.

Sexing is very difficult on subadults, the easiest way in my mind is to observe their behavior, but if they are stressed you won't fing anything.
If they are adult, females are smaler than males.

How long have you had them for.

Henri

Henri

Message par Henri » 07 janv. 2002 18:24

Le 2002-01-07 17:44, P. a écrit:
ehhh ben les mecs, you speak english very welllllll ; indeed
Question de génération :wink::wink:

On a laissé tomber le latin pour l'anglais ... c'est un peu plus utile - sauf pour un grand taxonomiste comme toi, histoire de pas faire de fôte de grammaire dans les noms d'espèce.
Amicalement

Henri

Luc

Message par Luc » 07 janv. 2002 19:48

Hi all
I have the same problem to with mine L.occelatus, they are only putting some sand into the shells and thats all, they are swimming around the shells, In a first time I tougt that the shells where not clain enough, so I rebioled all the shells, and when I was putting out the shells of the tank, the fish in a panic went in their shells. Mine tank is very recent, about some 2 months. So now I am wondering if I will have some fry if they won't go in the shells
Thanks
Groetjes
Luc

Marcos Yamada

Message par Marcos Yamada » 07 janv. 2002 20:12

Hello again
JTanganY now i'll put some smaller shells.
Henry, i have shells in more than 4 places(quiet places), eich place with more than 6 shells, but i'll try that.
P. thanks

Thanks everybody

Ben'J

Message par Ben'J » 07 janv. 2002 20:45

Méééééeeeeuuuuhhhh j'suis plus môa !!
Et pour une fois que çà parle conchys... !!

:lol::D

I déconne, I can read a little english, but for write, it's an other affaire !

Hey ! Ho !

Henri

Message par Henri » 07 janv. 2002 23:35

Hy everybody.

I think that if neither species go in shell, there must be a real problem, multis not go in shells, that's really abnormal to me.

Try to add a few shells behind rocks and see if there are more fishes on this area.
In my 200L tank, I currently have one similis that does not go in a shell, and the reason is simple : she fears any other fish, so the rocky place is secure ; she can enter it and leave it by very different places. The problem may be similar.

About the size of the shells, I don't think that's very important for multis : in the tank, there are 4 out of 5 shells that are "petit gris" - I think Carlos can't know it, so these are small shells of 2-3 cm and what's in is very very good :wink::P2 my little brother collect them for that and I keep the shells - and one of my BB similis (similis are very near to multis) is in a much bigger shell though there are many free shells, even around.
I haven't had occelatus or brevis, so I can't know for those ...

Cordially

Henri

P.S. HenrI, not HenrY, which is the english equivalent ... very used in France.

J-S
Administrateur

Message par J-S » 08 janv. 2002 13:28

Hello Everybody! (hop :D )
4.5/6 en Anglais -> 'Bcp mieux sauf en grammaire!' Bon ba je repasse plus tard...
Moi c plutôt
For i:=0 TO Len(tab) Do
END;...

:jesors:

Marcos Yamada

Message par Marcos Yamada » 08 janv. 2002 16:15

Hello again,
I made what everybody had said, and i think that's working.
i'll wait a little to see what's happen...
later i tell if everything goes ok.

ont remercié tout le monde (acho que tá escrito tudo errado, alguém fala português?)

thank's

Répondre